Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
The main purpose of the Transportation Volunteer position is to:
- Provide transportation for senior(s) to and from appointments
- Provide companionship and emotional support during the appointment as needed
Responsibilities of the volunteer while transporting the senior will depend on the interests and skills of the volunteer and on the specific needs of the individual senior. Specific tasks may include some of the following:
- Follow HealthVisions and FAST policies and procedures in initial contact with senior and in providing ongoing service.
- Perform volunteer caregiving tasks such as:
- Call the senior the day before, when they are on their way to pick up the seniors, and when they arrive at the home.
- Provide transportation as specified by the senior and agreed upon.
- Provide curb-to-curb, door-to-door, door-through-door or escort service when transporting seniors.
- Accompany the senior to the appointment and remain with senior if needed or take the senior to the appointment and pick up at a designated time and location. Notify the FAST office of the next follow up appointment or referrals for the senior as appropriate.
- Assist the senior getting in and out of the house and vehicle. Volunteer must not try to lift a senior. Offer your arm, speak clearly, move slowly, and deliberately asking how you can assist. Communicate your willingness to help.
- Assist senior with shopping, getting packages in and out of the vehicle and into the house, picking up medication, etc.
- Complete and submit the Transportation Logs and provide to the FAST office timely. Ensure the seniors sign for all transportations.
- Contact the FAST office if the senior requests to go places other than those approved by FAST.
- Secure donations received from seniors and submit to FAST office at least weekly indicating the date of the transport, senior who donated and the amount. Maintain confidentiality of the senior who made donations.
- Be able to respond to emergency situations quickly and effectively.
- Notify FAST of any changes in physical or mental conditions of the senior and/or need for added service from other community agencies.
To effectively fulfill the responsibilities of this position, the following are required:
- Valid driver’s license with a safe driving record; Must be at least 21 years old
- Able to pass the motor vehicle and criminal background check
- Properly maintained and equipped vehicle that is insured and registered
- No smoking while in the presence or prior to the pickup of the senior
- No loud or obscene music while in the presence of the senior
- No texting while driving with the senior. Calls are to be made using Bluetooth only and adhering to laws.
- Sincere interest in working with the population served by FAST
- Patience, flexibility, and reliability
- Openness and respect for people from diverse backgrounds
- Vehicle must be mechanically sound and equipped with seat belts which must be used and secured by passengers
- Must attend volunteer training before driving
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Experience working or desire to work with elders and/or disabled individuals
Volunteers interested in this position must commit to the following:
- Attend volunteer orientation and training and read the volunteer training manual
- Report volunteer hours and description of tasks completed on a weekly basis
- Complete all volunteer requirements such as screening, background check, volunteer orientation and training, application, interview, and personal reference check
Volunteers will receive the following benefits:
- Making a Senior Smile
- Creating lasting friendships
- Making a difference in the lives of neighbors in need
- Working with other dedicated and wonderful volunteers from our community
- The unique joy that can come from being of invaluable service to others
- Growing personally and professionally and gaining the opportunity to put one’s personal faith into action
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: