United Way of Greater St. Louis is pleased to offer volunteer opportunities for community members interested in helping select local nonprofits to receive United Way funding and support. Currently, we are seeking volunteers to support Phase I: Application Review/Scoring Phase. During this phase, volunteers will be tasked with reviewing and scoring local nonprofit applications to help determine funding award and amount. Recruitment for volunteers for Phase II: Ongoing Performance Monitoring will begin in 2021.
Volunteer Engagement Phases
|Phase I: Application Review/Scoring Phase||Review and score a specific number of applications for funding||March-May 2020|
|Phase II: Ongoing Performance Monitoring||Conduct onsite site reviews and assessment||July 2020 – December 2020|
Selected volunteers must attend a mandatory half-day training, during which they will receive an overview of United Way’s enhanced community investment process, information on how specific skills and experiences can be used to effectively assess the applications, and a step-by-step guide on how to use the online scoring tool. The training will take place in March 2020 and is approximately a 3-hour commitment.
Apply to Volunteer
The deadline to apply is February 28. There are limited slots.
Step 1: Each volunteer will review a specific performance area of the application. Review the different performance areas below and note which one you are best positioned to review based on your expertise and/or familiarity. During the application process, you will be asked to denote your preference.
1) Program – Volunteers will review nonprofit programs to determine if local nonprofits are meeting community needs, are utilizing good program fidelity practices, and are achieving outcomes with strong trends and benchmarks. Preferred volunteers for this role should have experience in project coordination, program management, or quality improvement.
2) Administration – Volunteers will review nonprofits' administrative functions including workforce policies and procedures, volunteer policies and procedures, and regulatory oversight. Preferred volunteers for this role should have experience in human resources or personnel management.
3) Finance – Volunteers will review nonprofit financial planning, oversight, and overall financial stability. Preferred volunteers for this role should have experience in accounting, auditing, or finance.
4) Governance – Volunteers will review nonprofit governance structure including board policies and strategic planning practices. Preferred volunteers for this role should have experience in strategic planning, organizational governance, or experience sitting on a nonprofit Board of Directors.
5) Open: Undecided/available to support any performance area
Step 2: Click on the impact area listed below that interests you. This will direct you to the impact area-specific volunteer opportunity to apply. Please only register for one impact area.
Provide Food and Shelter focuses on nonprofits that support people’s most basic needs by providing immediate support and positioning the individual for independence long-term. As a volunteer reviewer for this impact area, you will review nonprofit applications that focus on crisis intervention, food security, housing security, legal assistance, and transportation.
Establish Financial Stability focuses on nonprofits that ensure families and individuals are financially stable and have the income and resources needed to thrive in all aspects of their lives. As a volunteer reviewer for this impact area, you will review nonprofit applications that focus on debt, financial education, financial safety net, income, and jobs.
Foster Learning focuses on nonprofits that provide access to quality education, empowering children, young people and individuals to reach their full potential. As a volunteer reviewer for this impact area, you will review nonprofit applications that focus on child welfare, early childhood education, K-12 education and out-of-school time, and post-secondary education.
Improve Health focuses on nonprofits that provide health-related services vital for children to grow and develop and for adults to experience a full and productive life. As a volunteer reviewer for this impact area, you will review nonprofit applications that focus on access to healthcare, aging and senior support, physical health, behavioral health and substance abuse and services for individuals with disabilities.
Strengthening Communities focuses on nonprofits that are helping to make our community a better place to live, work and thrive for everyone. As a volunteer reviewer for this impact area, you will review nonprofit applications that focus on community building, built environment, disaster preparedness and response, safety and justice.